Skip to content ↓

Additional Support For Learners - SEND

Additional Needs - Our provision (SEN Information Report)

Listed below are a set of "Frequently Asked Questions" relating to our additional needs and the provision that we at Huttoft offer to our children. As a school we are proud of the individual and targeted support that we provide along with the inclusivity that we promote. In line with Lincolnshire County Council, our provision is named as a "SEN Information Report".

Please click on the questions below to find out more.

Should you require any further information please contact us.

What are Additional Needs?

All children in our school study a broad and balanced curriculum in their class groups. It is thought that approximately 20% of pupils may experience learning difficulties at some point during their time at school. These difficulties may be short term or long term. A child with a difficulty or difficulties is said to have Special Educational Needs – often shortened to SEN. Special Educational Needs Disability (SEND) is the term used for a difficulty associated with a disability. The needs can be categorised into one or more of the following areas:

  • Communication and interaction including Autistic Spectrum conditions and speech and language difficulties
  • Cognition and learning
  • Social, mental and emotional health
  • Sensory and/or physical

We have provision for all these needs. Our SEN Policy is available here.

What should I do if I think my child has Additional Educational Needs?

You should either speak with your child’s class teacher or to Miss Mullen, our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO), and explain your concerns. Mrs Denton is the Nursery SENCO - she works closely with Miss Mullen and has particular knowledge and experience in speech, language and communication needs.

How will the school respond to my concern(s)?

We will listen to your concern(s) and then discuss the situation with the relevant member(s) of staff. We will then either invite you to a meeting at a mutually convenient time to discuss the matter further or advise you of the outcome of your concern(s) in writing or by phone. Your concern(s) will be monitored and another/further meeting(s) arranged as necessary.

How will school decide if my child needs extra support?

Each child's class teacher is responsible to track academic progress and to ensure any extra support is given when needed through Quality First Teaching. Where the class teacher feels a child needs something "different" or "extra to" what is provided to the rest of the class, they will discuss this with and provide evidence to the SENCO. If then it is felt that this is the most appropriate path, parents/carers will be written to and/or invited to discuss this with the class teacher and/or SENCO and they will then go onto our SEN Register where targets will be set and reviewed at least termly. You and your child will be involved in deciding the next steps and in setting targets to support your child. Your child will remain on this Register for as long as they require something "different" or "extra to" their peers.

What will the school do to support my child?

Having identified the area(s) of need for your child, we will agree on specific targets for your child to work towards and your child will be deemed to be receiving ‘SEN support in school’. The targets will be recorded on an Individual Education Plan (IEP) . Additional support will be organised by the class teacher in the form of individual work, small group work, the use of specific resources or help from an adult. Any additional support will be recorded on the school provision map, showing support provided across the school.

IEP’s and targets will be reviewed at least termly and new/revised ones put in place. Our IEP system operates ‘plan’ (the targets), ‘do’ (the strategies) and ‘review’ (the review of progress). Your child is given the opportunity to assess his/her progress through each IEP and your contribution is welcomed too.

Who will support my child in school?

Your child will be supported by:

  • The class teacher
  • Additional adults (teaching assistants working in the class)

What training and experience do staff have for the additional support my child needs?

The majority of staff here have considerable experience in supporting learning, and speech and language difficulties. All staff have training in Child Protection and Safeguarding; Autism Awareness and routine first aid, including several having enhanced training in paediatric first aid. Most staff have training in the effective management of ADHD and positive approaches to behaviours. Teaching assistants have had training in the delivery of a range of different educational interventions and programmes. Several staff have had training in specific syndromes including: dyslexia, dyscalculia and sensory impairment.

Who else might be involved in supporting my child?

With your permission outside agencies may be asked by us to support your child and the staff who work with them. These include:

  • Educational Psychologist
  • Specialist Teaching and Applied Psychology Service (STAPPS)
  • Speech and Language Therapist
  • Autism Outreach Service (Working Together Team)
  • Sensory Education Support Service
  • School Nurse
  • Educational Welfare Officer
  • BOSS team (Behavioural support)
  • Health Authority

Parents can access support and information independently via the Lincolnshire County Council website

What support will there be for my child’s emotional and social wellbeing?

The emotional and social wellbeing of your child is of great importance to us. We have a structured programme of lessons that covers these areas and all staff promote opportunities for children’s self esteem to be enhanced. Where appropriate, additional intervention (individual or small group), will be organised to help your child’s emotional and social development.

We work closely with outside agencies to support children with emotional and behavioural needs. The school rules, including rewards and sanctions, are used consistently to support children’s behaviour. If your child needs to be given medicine during the school day, please ask a member of staff for advice.

How does the school know how well my child is doing?

We track all children’s progress closely during each year. We measure the amount of progress children make over the year, and how much their attainment compares with age related expectations. For children in Reception, we assess children using the Early Learning Goals. For the majority of children in Years 1 – 6, we assess against National Curriculum expectations. Any children working significantly below age expectations are assessed using PIVATS (Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting). This enables us to measure small steps of progress, and set appropriate specific targets. We assess children using standardised assessments, teacher assessments and Assessment for Learning. All of these are used to provide a clear and detailed picture of your child’s progress and attainment. 

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

School opens at 08:20 for an 08:35 start. After school clubs run daily until 5 p.m. All children are welcome to attend these clubs which are run by school staff and we endeavour to provide support to enable all pupils to attend. We have a regular programme of school trips and visitors into school including some related to current topics and other curriculum areas. We ensure that we have sufficient adults on trips to enable all children to take part. Parents and volunteers are often included on trips. The SENCO and class teacher meet to plan ahead for possible difficulties for a child attending a trip, including a risk assessment – outcomes may include alternative transport or additional staffing. These are shared and agreed with the parent.

How accessible is the school environment?

The school is fully accessible to wheelchairs including toilet areas. We review our Accessibility Plan annually to ensure that there are no problems. Technology, resources and specific equipment are used to support children’s learning and any identified needs.

How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school?

We organise a series of events for children starting in Reception and their parents. These include a parent/carer information evening and a specific time for children to visit the Reception class and become familiar with our routines. Should your child require a more personalised transition programme, we will work with you to provide this. For children starting at other times of year, or in other year groups, we encourage you to look around and discuss your child’s needs with the Headteacher so that appropriate provision can be put in place. New parents receive a pack of information about the school and how to ‘help at home’. 

How will my child be able to contribute his/her views? How will my child be involved in the process?

Your child will be asked to contribute to the IEP cycle of ‘plan, do, review’ and his/her views taken into account. This will be through a variety of ways, depending on the age, abilities and needs of your child, but will usually include discussion with the class teacher or other adult working in his/her class, feelings books and social stories.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

Our curriculum is creative and has a strong practical element, enabling children of all abilities and needs to access and to be supported and challenged.

IT is used regularly and classroom layouts, including seating arrangements, displays and groupings of children support each child’s individual needs. Lessons are differentiated to meet individual children, and where appropriate, additional adult support will be provided within class.

If your child needs support above and beyond what can be provided in class, additional individual or group intervention work will be offered. This may be with a teacher or a teaching assistant.

What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s achievements? How will I know how my child is progressing?

We hold regular parent/teacher consultation opportunities. Statistical information on progress is issued. If you have more concerns, a meeting with your child’s class teacher or the SENCO can be arranged. A Mid Year Report is issued in February/March and an End of Year Report in July – both coincide with a Parent/Teacher Consultation opportunity.

In some instances (when agreed by school and parents), a home school diary or a reward chart may be used to assist the home school partnership for the benefit of the child.

Parents of children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs/Health Care Plan will be invited to an Annual Review to discuss progress and plan provision.

How will the school prepare and support my child to transfer to a new setting or school?

We work closely with the secondary schools the children move on to after Huttoft Primary. As well as transition and ‘taster days’ staff from Year 7 come into our school to work with and meet our children and discuss them individually with our Headteacher. If your child needs more support with transition, we will arrange this in conjunction with his/her new school. We also work closely with representatives from Lincolnshire’s Additional Needs Service.

How can I be involved in supporting my child in school?

We encourage all parents to be actively involved in their children’s education. Infant children will bring their reading book home each day which we encourage you to read with them. All children receive weekly homework on a Tuesday in the form of a Maths activity to be completed by the following week and for Year 6, there may be weekend homework too. We have an active Friends of Huttoft Primary School Committee, who organise events and support with fund raising. All friends, parents and carers are invited to attend meetings and are most welcome. Parents are also invited to attended certain Assemblies along with a number of other regular events, all of which are detailed in our newsletters and on our website.

How can I access support for myself and my family?

If you feel that you need further support, please speak with Miss Mullen, SENCO, (Tel: 01507 490284), who will advise you on whom to contact. You can also contact Additional Needs at Lincolnshire County Council (01522 553332) or Parent Partnership Services (01522 553351).

How is the effectiveness of our SEN(D) provision evaluated?

Our Special Educational Needs provision is reviewed annually to ensure it effectively addresses the needs of our children and allows them to achieve their academic targets and wider, intended outcomes. The staff and governing body carry out this evaluation.

What do I do if I want to make a complaint about the support provided for my SEN(D) child at this school?

Our "Complaints by Parents - Procedure" is available on the Policies tab of our website. Alternatively you can ask for a copy to be provided to you.