Welcome to Year 6 - our final year in primary school, full to the brim with exciting learning opportunities as well as preparation for those important key events including the 11+, SATs and transition for secondary school.
Mrs Heald is our teacher and our teaching assistants are Mrs Taylor and Mr Irving.
Our daily timetable includes:
- Maths, with learning developed through the White Rose Maths schemes using fluency as well as problem solving and reasoning in a variety of contexts, to develop mastery and consolidate our understanding further to greater depth.
- English, with learning focused upon our class projects as well as a range of exciting class texts, aimed at further developing and enhancing our learning in both reading and writing, as well as our understanding of Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar. Our class texts are linked to each of the different projects and are written by significant children's authors. Included are:
Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz; Private Peaceful by Michael Morpurgo and War Game by Michael Foreman; Pig Heart Boy by Malorie Blackman; Holes by Louis Sachar; Sky Hawk by Gill Lewis; The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken.
Which one will become your favourite?
- Project, with Cornerstones Curriculum forming the backbone of our project work. A wide variety of exciting projects have been selected to develop and enhance our learning throughout the year.
- Tomorrow's World: focuses on Computing and discovering more about the world of technology, the people who've shaped the modern world, as well as learning about technology and communication - including blogs and podcasts.
- Fallen Fields: takes us on a journey back in time to World War I where we learn about the causes, significant people and key events of this very important historic event. We learn about the introduction of rationing and will be getting our aprons on to make and sample some of the 'delights' eaten by the soldiers out in the trenches.
- Blood Heart: where we take a 'hand on' approach to learning about the heart, blood and the circulatory system as well as the importance of keeping healthy.
- Hola Mexico!: involves exploring the country of Mexico, from its towering temples and stunning geography to its pulsing rhythms and fun festivals. We also discover the mysterious world of the ancient Maya civilisation.
- Darwin's Delights: takes us on an exciting expedition with Charles Darwin and the HMS Beagle to find out all about the evolution and classification of different species of plants and animals.
- Revolution: provides us with the experience of a Victorian classroom and an insight into the ingenious inventors from this period in time.
We like to make use of our amazing outdoor areas whenever we can especially for Physical Education (PE) which is also part of our weekly timetable along with Religious Education (RE); Personal, Social, Health and Economic educations (PSHE) and French ... à bientôt.
Click below to see the exciting learning we have planned for this half term: